Have you ever tucked into a bag of vegetable crisps only to feel underwhelmed with the amount in the packet and thought ‘maybe I can make my own for what this packet has cost‘? Well, you’re in luck. We have a recipe to share with you that shows just how simple it can be to make a healthy, tasty snack using ingredients you probably already have hanging around in your kitchen.
Healthier than fried varieties our crisps are simply baked in the oven and that not only makes them better for you, they’re also much easier and safer to make. All you need to make these tasty crisps is a mandoline, a non-stick baking tray and a large mixing bowl. We used a peeler to remove the skins from our vegetables but if you would prefer to leave these on, just take extra special care that they don’t burn when baking.
Make sure you keep an eye on your crisps whilst they’re cooking, turning them once and remember that these do firm up as the cool. We recommend eating these on the same day you bake them so they stay crisp and think they’re delicious when dipped into fresh hummus.
We used beetroot, carrot, parsnip and sweet potato but you could swap these out for vegetables you prefer, perhaps you have a turnip rolling around that really needs using up, or perhaps you’d rather stick to the normal potato crisp?
Whatever vegetable you pick, you will need to pay attention as they bake as some will bake faster than others and due to the fineness of these crisps it doesn’t take long for them to cross the line between perfectly done and burnt.
For more recipe inspiration you can check out our recipe section filled with lots of great dishes that you can make at home.
Mixed Vegetable Crisps
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1 beetroot
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Peel vegetables and slice using setting 1 or 2 on a mandoline
- Place slices between two layers of kitchen roll and leave for 30 minutes to absorb excess moisture
- Add the vegetables to a large mixing bowl and add the olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and papper taking care to combine well
- Arrange in one layer on a non-stick baking tray and place in the oven for 6-8 minutes, turning once
- Repeat until you have baked all your crisps
- Remove from the oven, season aagain and place on a wire cooling rack to crisp and cool