Make the most of seasonal ingredients this autumn with our sweet pear and blackberry crumble. With only a few simple steps involved in making this delicious bake, it’s a great way to use fruits when they’re in their prime and can easily be taken straight from the oven to the table when made in a stoneware oven dish. With a sprinkling of cinnamon and just a touch of vanilla, this gently spiced dish is our new go-to as the temperatures begin to fall.
To bake your crumble you will need
The perfect crumble boasts a delicate filling that not only tastes delicious but is soft to bite too so it’s important your pears are given plenty of time to soften in a pan before adding your blackberries. A medium-sized saucepan will allow all your cubes to have contact with the base of the pan and avoid any hard pieces – you want to leave the crunch to your topping!
Our recipe calls for a bake that takes 20-25 minutes but as ovens can vary, look out for a golden brown top and the sound of fruit bubbling as you remove it from the oven. We recommend setting a kitchen timer for 20 minutes to prevent potential burning, and resetting this at 5 minute intervals until ready.
The wonderful thing about out using a stylish oven dish is that it looks great when brought to the table to serve. We dished ours into cereal bowls from our Oslo stoneware range as it’s reactive glaze and muted tones create the cosy hygge feel we can’t get enough of in autumn.
We’ve made the most of seasonal ingredients in our crumble, but we think the filling from our Caramel Apple Pie would be a delicious autumnal alternative. Whichever you choose, your home will be filled with a delicious lightly spiced scent as they bake making them impossible to resist!
Pear and Blackberry Crumble
For the crumble
- 1 kg conference pears
- 250 g blackberries
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 100 g rolled oats
- 100 g unsalted butter (cubed)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp custard (per serving)
- Peel and cube the pears before adding to a pan over a medium heat. Pour in the maple syrup and ground cinnamon and stir. Cook for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally until the pears have softened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the blackberries and vanilla essence and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 190°C / 170°C Fan / gas mark 5.
- In a large bowl add the flour, oats and butter and using your fingertips, rub together until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and combine.
- Spoon the pear and blackberry mix into a medium sized oven dish and sprinkle with the crumble mix. Take care to cover all the fruit evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and serve warm with custard.