Fresh and light flavours are one of the best things about heading into spring and this refreshing cucumber margarita ticks both boxes. Seems we aren’t the only ones who love a margarita either, did you know there is a national Margarita Day on 22nd February? With a little kick of spice from the chilli salt frosted rim and the refreshing citrus taste from the dash of orange, these are a wonderful way to celebrate the day and welcome the lighter evenings as the days grow longer.
To make a cucumber margarita you will need
With minimal ingredients required we think this is the perfect recipe for a last minute cocktail night. Dig out your champagne saucers and cocktail shaker, it’s margarita time! Speedy and simple, the chilli salt rim adds a wonderful depth to the cocktail that cuts through the sweetness, and don’t forget to make your ice in advance. Either go for traditional cubes using an ice cube tray or perhaps you could use an ice mould and make globes instead?
Using a muddler is a great way to maximise the flavours so take care to do this thoroughly for the very best results. This recipe calls for ginger beer but you can swap this for lemonade or omit it entirely if you wish, just remember your drink will be a lot stronger without!
Looking for something stronger? Swap the orange juice for an orange liquor for an even more indulgent cocktail and add a few pieces of sliced jalapeño to the shaker before muddling – you’ll get an even spicier kick that will complement the liquor brilliantly.
To make the drink even more refreshing slice a lime with a sharp knife and run around the rim of your glass before dipping into your salt mix. It’ll add the perfect balance of sharpness to the kick of chilli and create something that truly tantalises the tastebuds.
For the salted rim
- 50 g salt flakes
- 1 tsp ground chilli or chilli flakes
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- 1 glass ice cubes
For the cocktail
- 5 slices fresh cucumber
- 55 ml tequila
- 1 splash orange juice
- ½ lime (juice)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 bottle ginger beer
- 1 handful fresh mint
- 2 handfuls ice cubes
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- 1 wedge lime
- Add salt, chilli and granulated sugar to a small bowl or plate and mix roughly.
- Dip the rim of your glass in water before pushing into the salt mix, ensuring an even coating. Fill with ice and set aside.
- Muddle the cucumber, tequila, orange juice, lime juice, honey and fresh mint in a cocktail shaker before adding the ice. Shake well for approximately one minute until combined.
- Strain over your prepared glasses and top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with mint leaves and a wedge of lime before serving.