You’ve put in all the hard work, got the grades and now you’re about to head off to university… congratulations!
Moving to a new place with people you’ve not met before is an exciting and nervewracking experience, but if there is one thing that always brings people together it’s good food. Whether you’re cooking a fry up for the morning after the night before, tucking into a roast dinner with your flatmates (yes, this really does happen at uni!) or fuelling a heavy night of essay-writing, food will become a major part of your university life. Make sure you’re kitted out with all the must-have’s before you arrive so you can spend more time socialising and getting to know your new roomies and less navigating around your new town searching for the kitchen utensils you forgot to bring with you.
We’ve put together a list of all the things you really need as a student including cookware, dinnerware and utensils with some optional extras for those students who are already well-versed in the kitchen or wish to expand their culinary skills whilst at university or college.
- Gourmet Non-Stick 4 Piece Set – The 24cm frying pan has high sides making it great for cooking sauces and curries as well as taking on traditional frying tasks with ease, whilst the three saucepans in the set make sure you’ve always got the right one for the job at hand. Featuring glass lids with our strain and pour design they’re easy to use, can be put in the oven up to 260°C and most importantly are easy to clean!
- Glass Ovenware 3 Piece Set – A hack that all students should know about, cooking in our ovenware dishes is great as if you have any leftovers you can simply put the lid on and pop in the freezer. There’s no washing up, cooking bigger portions is often easier than cooking for one and is usually more economical too. Plus, as you’re nearing the end of your student loan your future self will be thanking you for stocking up the freezer with tasty meals that just need heating up to enjoy.
- Non-Stick Baking Tray – One of the most versatile pieces of kit you could own, this is a must-have for every student. They’re perfect for roasting vegetables, baking cookies and warming croissants to doubling as pizza stone’s and cooking fish fingers and chips. The non-stick properties of this tray also keeps food from sticking making the clean up job afterwards a breeze.
- Microwave Soup Mug – For cheap lunches on campus or a quick fix in the middle of a study session, a microwavable soup mug is one of the best-kept secrets of student life. Not limited to just soups, the airtight lid makes for easy transporation of leftover casseroles, pasta dishes and whatever that was you created last night, for heating on the move.
Knives and Accessories
- Designpro Titanium Knife Set – Covering all bases from veg prep through to meat carving, this 6 piece set has a blade for every job. Each knife has a titanium coated stainless steel blade and ergonomic soft-touch handle making them comfortable and safe to use, and their multi-coloured finish will make them easy to identify as yours.
- Designpro Chopping Board Set – Preventing cross-contamination is key and in an environment where you may be sharing things the risk is even higher. This set of boards feature easy-to-read tabs to let you know which board is for which ingredients, and with textured surfaces and wide non-slip feet your food won’t be slipping onto the counter anytime soon. An added bonus, these store away easily in a worktop stand saving valuable space in your allocated drawers and cupboards.
- Wooden Utensil Set – Often overlooked, a basic utensil set will see you all the way through your university experience. This set features a wooden spoon, a pasta spoon, a solid spatula and a slotted spatula so all your sauteing, frying and baking needs are covered as well as making serving pasta a walk in the park.
- Y-Shape Peeler – A Y-shaped peeler is much easier to use than a standard one, and thanks to its sturdiness will help keep slips and injuries to a minimum. Suitable for both left and right handed users you may want to keep this one away from your housemates as we’re sure that once they’ve seen how easy it is to use they’ll all be claiming it for themselves!
- Glass Measuring Jug – You’ll be surprised how often you use a mesauring jug at uni; baked beans, scrambled egg and mushy peas are all quick to whip up in the microwave and are great for when you need food in a hurry.
- Can Opener – Having canned food in the cupboard is a great back up for days where you can’t face popping to the shops or need a quick refuel mid-essay. This can opener also boasts a bottle opener which is sure to put you in good favour at any flat parties.
- Stockholm 12 Piece Set – Accidents are a given when living in shared accommodation so buying a set that is unmistakably yours will reduce the likelihood of any arguments over who used what (and who hasn’t washed up their stuff!), and we think that the contemporary design of our Stockholm range is perfect for students.
- Soho Cutlery Set – A basic necessity, a good set of cutlery will last you beyond the end of your studies. The Soho range boasts a 4.9 out of 5 star rating so our customers love it almost as much as we do!
- A favourite mug – In times of need we often turn to a cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate for comfort and when it feels all a bit too much sipping from our favourite mug can make a world of difference.
- Acrylic Salt and Pepper Mill Set – Seasonning can completely make or break a meal, so don’t get caught short without a salt and pepper mill when you move in. The ceramic grinding mechanism in this set lasts much longer than plastic alternatives, and the silver knob allows you to choose how coarse or fine the grind is.
- Double Oven Glove – a must-have in the kitchen, no student should be without a durable pair of oven gloves. The darker colour of this glove means any spills and stains are less noticeable and with soft padding from end to end your hands will be protected as you handle hot dishes, trays and pans.
- Tea Towel Set – matching to your oven glove, tea towels will become like gold dust at university as everyone hunts for a clean one. Prepare for the panic by bringing along a set of three with you and in a darker colourway any marks and stains will be better hidden.
- Potato Masher – if you’re fussy over how smooth your mash is making homemade is always best. This easy to hold potato masher will give you full control over consistency and is easier to use than traditional alternatives.
- Pestle and Mortar – marinating gives food a real kick of flavour, so if you want to liven up your student meals with tasty herb and spice blends then you won’t want to be without a pestle and mortar.
- Cheese Grater – everybody knows that any meal can be saved if you pile a load of cheese on top, right? No student kitchen should be without a box grater, it really is that simple.
- Scissors – the one thing that almost everyone forgets is a good pair of scissors. This pair come apart for easy cleaning and like our can opener, feature and integrated bottle opener – result!
You can browse the full range by shopping online or browing your nearest ProCook store: