We’ve all watched American TV programmes where they sit around a breakfast table and attack the gastronomically-enticing stacked pancakes, dripping with maple syrup or honey.
Well, to celebrate Shrove Tuesday, we’ve put together a recipe (and amazing video tutorial!) for making the ultimate American-style pancakes, generously topped with honey and blueberries packed full of health-boosting antioxidants!
Top tips when making American-style pancakes
1) Don’t over whisk the batter
You want the batter to be smooth but but not over worked so your pancakes are light and fluffy. A few lumps in the batter is better than ending up with chewy pancakes.
2) Don’t flip as soon as you see bubbles rise
Good things come to those who wait… Let the bubbles rise and pop forming small holes, then turn them over.
3) Be a confident flipper
When flipping a pancake you must not hesitate or it will go wrong. Place a slotted turner or spatula under the pancake and, on the count of three, flip with a quick turn of your wrist.
4) Go for toppings rather than mix-ins
Fruit and chocolate, when added to your pancake batter, can burn due the cooking time being faster than the pancakes. We recommend adding them on top once cooked.
5) Don’t compromise on the syrup
If you like your pancakes sweet don’t be fooled and go for cheap pancake syrup. Trust us, if you are going to take the time to make delicious homemade pancakes they deserve only the best. 100% maple syrup or honey.
- 280g plain flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 450ml butter milk
- 75g melted butter
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and crack the eggs into the middle.
- Whisk the batter lightly, make sure you do not over mix.
- Grease the pan with oiled kitchen towel.
- Ladle a small amount of batter onto the pan.
- Allow to cook for 1 – 2 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 1 more minute.
- Serve warm with honey and blueberries.
Fancy a more traditional pancake? Check out this brilliant video tutorial!